We've all been there, that time, for whatever reason, you just fall into a malaise of sorts...What used to be enthralling and compelling elicits a little more than a casual nod now and again. As a collector myself, I understand. I am not embarrassed to say that, every once in a while, my interests need a bit of a boost too.
That being said, I thought we should look at some ways to re-energize your hobby, should you find yourself in one of those aforementioned “ruts.”
1) Rearrange - Oh yeah- super easy…And sometimes, all it takes is a slight change of scenery, if you will, to re-invigorate your interest in your collection. Just like putting a fresh coat of paint in a room, there are few displays that couldn’t benefit from a little re-configuration, redecoration, or something entirely different.
2) Redress - Spending a little "you" time sitting and redressing can reignite the fun and purpose of having this hobby to begin with. Besides, we all know how a new outfit makes us, personally, feel more confident or lifts our spirits - isn't redressing your dolls almost the same thing?
3) Reassess - Add that new doll that you’ve been coveting…even if it means trading or giving away something else to make room. If you want that crazy new bjd released by your favorite artist or been lusting over that super limited fashion doll that came out a year ago, but just don’t have the real estate for it, or the funds, it may be time to sell or trade some dolls to another collector that would appreciate them. Sometimes, the key to enjoying the hobby even more is to simply acquire that grail that you’ve been drooling over for the past year. And the trade-offs? Well, they’re usually worth it..Trust me on that!
4) Reevaluate - try something totally different. You’ve always thought about dolls in different sizes, or maybe some of the fantasy dolls look fun but you've never wanted to veer off the path of your current collection. Why not? The fun part of the hobby is discovering new things. Those things that lift our soul, shift our moods and bring us enjoyment in a world that tends to be full of struggles and yucky "adulting" things. Take a chance, it could change your entire outlook on the hobby!
5) Reconnect- Wanna commiserate, share, and bounce ideas off of fellow collectors? What better way to do that than to join group of like-minded people who understand your obsession! ResinCafe, WClub, Den of Angels, Prego, (I know there are lots more than that, just do a simple Google search for doll forums) They are all a fantastic way to connect with people worldwide who share your passion. Or, better yet, connect in person at a local doll club. No club in your area? Start one! You’ll be surprised what kinds of amazing experiences and friendships can develop from clubs!
6) Relax- What? you’re telling me to step away from the hobby? Yup. Sometimes, it’s the best- or even the only- way to rekindle that fire you once had. If the doll collecting obsession has bitten you hard- and I’ll bet it has…you’ll want back in…way sooner than you expected. Those of us who are “lifers” just can’t keep away. If you don’t miss it, there is a very good chance that stamp collecting, Sudoku, role-playing games, or some other diversion is in your future…at least for a while!
Okay, so I’ve given you just a few ways to get your dolly “groove” back…I’m sure many of you out there can think of a few more. I’d like to hear them, as would your fellow hobbyists…
Remember, we can’t always be stoked on every aspect of the hobby 100% of the time…Sometimes, we just get burnt on the whole thing….that’s understandable. The important thing is that you don’t lose sight of the whole love affair that you have with collecting, and that you at least make an effort to rekindle the flame that may have been flickering out within you.
Stay stoked. Stay engaged.
Share your thoughts, maybe you can inspire someone else :)